Article: 288757 of talk.bizarre
From: jcarter@ox.mc.edu (Jonathan Carter)
Newsgroups: talk.bizarre
Subject: Re: Why?
Date: 2 Dec 1996 20:36:09 -0600

Why?

She whispered this to me as if in explanation.  I was a little too toasted
to notice, however, and continued to nuzzle her neck.  Smelled good.

Why?

This time the word burst out of her as if she had attempted to hold it in.
I was confused for a moment, but her expression indicated that this was
important.  Why what?, I asked, attempting to gear down.  She just
looked at me, and her eyes got wider and wider until they looked painfully
reminiscent of someone locked forever in the past.

Why?

I was a little shaken.  Her lips began to pout, and she touched me in
precisely the same--way--that she.. someone like her, that is.. used
to know I enjoyed.  That daquiri was wearing off _fast_.

Why, Jon?  Why you?  Why _me_, of all un-godly things to happen?  Whywhywhy?

I was sincerely frightened by this time.  She kissed me full on the lips,
and I think I whimpered.  I melted into the illusion, and thought I would
die forever.

Why?

The illusion faded, the bliss ended, and I was suddenly miserable.  I
looked around at the room, suddenly grown clear again, and it was dark.
Somebody was making out in front of a subdued TV in the living room, but
noone disturbed us.  I cradled her in my arms (the real her, not the
illusion).  She had long since fallen asleep, and I would have loved to
join her.  I slowly stood up and put on my pants.  The couple on the couch
bought a few more minutes of relative solitude with a free cigarette, and I
stood outside for a while, destroying my lungs with the smoke.  My bare torso
twitched periodically in the chill, and my feet were slowly losing
sensation, but I couldn't seem to care.  I suppose I was in a sort of
trance, focused.  I stared into the darkness, my mind gnawing fruitlessly
on that damn question.  I talked to her for awhile, and then went back
inside.  I felt a little better, but I still didn't have any answers.

Jonathan Carter
jcarter@mc.edu